Your Local Tacoma Attorneys

Divorce Rate in the United States

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2020 | Divorce

We Will Help Gaurd Your Rights

Divorce is a tough time for all the parties involved, but seeking the help of competent family law attorneys can make things easier.

In this article, we look at the divorce rate in the US and Washington State. If you’re facing a marriage dissolution case, call a acoma Divorce Attorney from Alliance Law Group to help guard your rights.

The General Divorce Rate in the United States

Divorce is not a rare occurrence in the US. According to the CDC, the US marriage rate is 6.9 per 1000 residents while the divorce rate is 2.9 per 1,000 people. It’s estimated that about 40% of first marriages wind up in divorce. And, people who’ve been divorced once before and marry again have a higher chance of divorcing, with about 60% of second marriages ending in dissolution.

It’s also worth noting that approximately 60% of divorcing couples are 25 to 39 years of age. Women have a higher likelihood of filing for divorce compared to men. Moreover, people who earn less than $20,000 annually have the highest rate of divorce.

Why Couples End Their Relationship

The following are some common reasons why married U.S. couples choose to end their relationship via divorce:

  • Lack of commitment in the relationship for at least one spouse
  • Infidelity, which includes cheating physically and emotionally
  • Entering a marriage without enough preparation
  • Getting married at a young age
  • Arguing excessively, especially about money
  • Abuse in the marriage

While nearly half of all U.S. marriages don’t last, the divorce rate has been declining over the years, because of the following reasons:

  • People are choosing to wait longer to enter marriage
  • Dual income couples in the middle- and upper-class sectors are more educated, and their financial stability sits well for their marital relationship

The Divorce Rate in Washington State

Divorce affects numerous people and is usually an unfortunate, difficult part of life. Since about half of all marriages break up in the end, it is a common occurrence. The numbers are even higher for subsequent marriages. However, rates of divorce vary greatly from one state to another and even from city to city. In Washington State, the marriage rate is 6.2 per 1,000 residents whereas the divorce rate is 3.4 per 1,000 inhabitants. Most of the divorces involve persons aged 30 to 44 years.

Clarkston city is considered the divorce capital in Washington State. Situated in the southeast part of Washington, Clarkston is based at the meeting point of Snake and Clearwater Rivers. Home to more than 7,300 people, more than a quarter of the citizens are divorced, at a rate of 25.7%. Clarkston has the highest rate of divorce among the 50 divorce capitals in the U.S.

One possible explanation for the high divorce rates in this city finances. Divorcing couples often state monetary issues as a reason for a failing marriage. Financial troubles tend to put more strain on a marital relationship, and poverty often goes hand in hand with increased divorce rates.

Legal Representation for a Divorce Case

If you’re facing marital issues and are considering a divorce, the competent family law attorneys at Alliance Law Group can help. We are ready to answer your queries and give you skilled and dedicated legal representation. Call us today at 253-300-2055 to talk to a Tacoma divorce attorney.